Franks Zappa with Captain Beefheart
Early Show - Music Hall
April 27, 1975
Boston, MA.
Audience B+ Recording
Audience B+ Recording
In his 1975 Bongo Fury Tour with Frank Zappa‘s band, Captain Beefheart delivers his blues-infused vocals in what I feel is the quintessential version of “The Torture Never Stops” (part one, above; part two, below). I’ve heard other vocalists sing this song, but besides the Zappa sung version, only Don Van Vliet ever truly made this song his own. I’ve always wondered why this version wasn’t released on ‘Bongo Fury‘ and then released so late (almost like an afterthought) on ‘You Can Do That On Stage Anymore, Volume 4‘ and ‘Cheap Thrills‘?
Bongo Fury Tour Band:
Frank Zappa – vocals, guitar
Denny Walley – vocals, slide guitar
Captain Beefheart – vocals, harmonica
Napoleon Murphy Brock – saxophone, vocals
George Duke – keyboards, vocals
Bruce Fowler – trombone, dancer
Tom Fowler – bass, dancer
Terry Bozzio – drums
Kill Ugly Radio
Early Show:
01 Improv
02 Token of my Extreme
03 Stinkfoot
04 I'm Not Satisfied
05 Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
06 Velvet Sunrise
07 Pound for a Brown
08 Sleeping in a Jar
09 Poofter's Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead
10 Echidna's Arf (Of You)
11 Improv
12 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing
13 Advance Romance
14 Willie the Pimp
Late Show:
01 Camarillo Brillo
02 Muffin Man
03 Lets Make The Water Turn Black
04 Penguin In Bondage
05 Debra Kedabra
06 Poofters Froth Wyoming Plans Ahead
07 Improvisation
08 The Torture Never Stops
09 The Torture Never Stops (part2)
10 Marty's Dance Song
11 Montana
12 Florentine Pogen
13 Willie The Pimp
Thanks to the original source!
pass - fbsvw

Thanks, never enough FZ & Capt. B.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this, but sorry for the images choosen in the video, the action took place in a donjon, not a forest, so it doesn't look like the night of the iron sausage at all !
ReplyDeleteThe only reason I put up THAT video was because of the CB's vocals. Talk to the guy that put up the vid with any complaints ; )
DeleteFoist - 'Torture' is one of my faves, too. Someone could master a compilation and I'd probably listen to it front to end. Second - why, there's a second because my collection copy c(called for some reason 'no bacon') contains only the early show, and now I can hear the late show too! Many thanks, Silent.
ReplyDeleteNice one, Silent! As for John Baker above, I only had the early show under the title No Bacon for Breakfast; now here's a second show from my favourite Zappa album! Ta muchly, Dave Sez.
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite FZ albums. Great to hear it live -Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Zappa/Beefheart!
ReplyDeleteThis is my all time favorite tour with Frank and Beefheart, thanks for these shows!!
ReplyDelete