Sunday, July 13, 2014

Miles Davis - Live at Royal Festival Hall London 1971

 Miles Davis - Royal Festival Hall 
November 13, 1971
London, UK
Excellent Unknown Source @192

This is what Miles wrote in his autobiography: “Airto Moreira quit early in 1971 and I got Jimmy Heath’s son, Mtume, to replace him on percussion. We didn’t record for a while because you have to let a band get used to playing together before you record anything. We went out on the road to try to get things together.
“Jack DeJohnette left the group late in 1971, around the same time Keith Jarrett left. I wanted the drummer to play certain funk rhythms, a role just like everybody else in the group had. I didn’t want the band playing totally free all the time, because I was moving closer to the funk groove in my head. Now, Jack could play drums like a motherf***er in a groove; he could really do that shit, but he also wanted to do other things, play a little freer, be a leader, do things his own way, so he left…
“I tried out Leon Ndugu Chancler… But after Gary Bartz, Keith, and Jack left my working band, I got my musicians from funk groups and not jazz bands because that’s the way I was going. Those guys were the last pure jazz players I’ve had in my bands up until today.”

Great article on Miles at Jazzwise
  
Miles Davis - trumpet
Gary Bartz - sax
Keith Jarrett - keyboards
Michael Henderson - bass
Ngudu Leon Chancher - drums
Charles Don Alias - percussions
Mtume - percussion
s


Set List:
1. Directions (11:15)
2. What I Say (15:24)
3. Sanctuary (3:51)
4. It's About That Time (15:55)
5. Honky Tonk (14:25)
6. Funky Tonk (15:45)
7. Sanctuary (1:35)

 
Thanks to Zombieboy at Guitars101
 
pass - fbsvw
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment