Rebooted...
Originally posted August 22, 2015
Howard Devoto - Jerky Versions Of The Dream
Studio Recordings @320
{Out of Print}
Easily as good as anything from his Magazine days, Devoto's first solo lp follows on thematically (if not chronologically!) from the excellent 'Correct Use of Soap'. This sees young Howie stepping light, almost delicately through this clipped, precise collection of songs. Its as if he's deliberately moved away from previous somber (but beautiful) Mags fare and is exploring lighter, may one suggest, happier territory..
The album is chock full of clever lyrics and subtle, insidious pop melodies. There's at least 6 other songs of haunting, deliberate sleights of hand, swirling infectious snippets of soulful wizardry.
It has stood times test superbly,and is as good for us today as its always been. Devoto's lp deserves much wider recognition than it got in 1983
The album is chock full of clever lyrics and subtle, insidious pop melodies. There's at least 6 other songs of haunting, deliberate sleights of hand, swirling infectious snippets of soulful wizardry.
It has stood times test superbly,and is as good for us today as its always been. Devoto's lp deserves much wider recognition than it got in 1983
~Paul Ess
Track List:
1. Cold Imagination
2. Topless
3. Rainy Season
4. I Admire You
5. Way Out Of Shape
6. Some Will Pay (For What Others Pay To Avoid)
7. Waiting For a Train
8. Out Of Shape With Me
9. Taking Over Heaven
10. Seeing Is Believing
2. Topless
3. Rainy Season
4. I Admire You
5. Way Out Of Shape
6. Some Will Pay (For What Others Pay To Avoid)
7. Waiting For a Train
8. Out Of Shape With Me
9. Taking Over Heaven
10. Seeing Is Believing

This was a damned fine slab of vinyl.
ReplyDeleteWhy do not you put a good thing that I can download at least once a disk.
ReplyDeleteummm...WHAT?
DeleteI've spent years trying to work out why "The Correct Use of Soap" isn't in the top greatest album lists. A work of genius. Love Devoto; thanks for this
ReplyDeleteI've spent years trying to figure out a lot of things about a lot of different bands, especially Magazine. I'm glad we could make someones day.
DeleteFor me...I really loved "Real Life" and "The Correct Use Of Soap." Can't play them enough...."Secondhand Daylight" seemed too distant and cold....I liked a few tracks on "Magic Murder and the Weather." THIS I don't have; I recall seeing it in a record store (or was this on CD?) but it went out of print quickly and I never tracked down a copy.
ReplyDelete